Thank you for your interest in Break A Leg Productions!
Break A Leg is currently accepting submissions for our next video series “Hope Springs Eternal” to run Spring 2021.
Submissions should meet the following criteria–AND MUST BE RECEIVED BY MARCH 15TH, 2021:
- Must have two characters (no more than two and no monologues)
- Single location (indoor, outdoor or zoom)
- In person location must allow for characters to stay socially distant
- Hopeful/Inspirational theme
- Any subject matter EXCEPT covid/pandemic
- MAX 5 pages
- No characters under the age of 17
- Mature characters encouraged
- No animals
Submit via email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please include the play as a PDF file. You may also include a synopsis, a character breakdown, playwright’s bio, playwright’s writing resume, reviews, awards, and social media information if applicable as PDF attachments.
In the Subject of the email please put the title of the play and “HOPE SPRINGS ETERNAL”.
By submitting your play, you grant Break A Leg Productions the right to cast, direct, videotape, and post your material, if selected as part of this series, to multiple digital platforms in perpetuity, without compensation or royalty.
Standard Submission Policy
(Please check back for submission dates for these series)
We are looking for plays (no musicals/no one person shows/no child roles under age 15) that have not yet been produced or published. We ideally would like to work with the playwright on developing their play or subsequent future plays going forward giving them an opportunity to see their work on stage in order to develop as an artist.
Please follow the play submission checklist below:
- Submit your play to the appropriate reading series ONLY during the submissions dates listed (WE WILL BE UPDATING THIS IN THE NEW YEAR).
- In one email please include the play, a synopsis, a character breakdown, playwright’s bio, playwright’s writing resume, reviews, awards, and social media information if applicable as PDF attachments.
- In the Subject of the email please put the title of the play and the reading series to which you are submitting.
Due to the number of scripts we receive and the limited size of our staff we are not able to respond personally to every play or to offer feedback. Typically it can take up to 6-9 months for a response if we feel your play may be right for our upcoming season. If you do not hear from us after 9 months you may only resubmit your play if any changes have been made or submit another play for the appropriate series in the following season.
Our Reading Series:
The One Act Slam – One Act Plays not to exceed 15 minutes in length. Any subject matter or genre.
The Art of Science – Science based fiction. Think Copenhagen, Proof, Silent Sky, Pierre & Marie, Farm Hall, Tesla’s Letters
Historically Speaking – Historical fiction; Dramas or comedies focused on real life historical figures and/or events. May include fictional characters. Think Oslo, All The Way, Ink, Sweat.
Delicious Comedy – All styles of Comedy.
Unexplored Territory – Drama or Dark Comedy that does not specifically fit into any of our other categories. If you aren’t sure where your play may fit submit it here.
In The Works (New Play Development Program) Playwrights will be selected to work on a new project with BAL Company members. By Invitation Only
Our Mission: Getting New Plays On Their Feet
At Break A Leg Productions, we are committed to helping playwrights ‘get a leg up’, so to speak, by literally putting new plays on their feet, often for the very first time in full productions as well as part of a variety of reading series. We believe early career playwrights need the opportunity to see their plays staged to grow as artists.